| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |


Minutes

Board Meeting

Friends of the Van Pelt Library

Thursday, April 6, 2006


Present:
 Amy Hughes, Mary Marchaterre, Karen Hubbard, George Love, Terry Reynolds, Don Durfee, Dick Rupley, Dana Richter, Brian Geiger, June Hawthorne, Moses Lian

Absent: Faith Morrison, Gail Mroz, Bette Mongold, Patrick Quimby, Dee Vincent, Phyllis Johnson

Terry Reynolds called the meeting to order at 4:04 pm. 

The minutes of the March 2, 2006 meeting were reviewed and approved.

Terry Reynolds handed out the Treasurer’s report which showed that the FVPL had $15,270.61 as of April 4, 2006.  The Treasurer’s report was approved.

Don Durfee took over the meeting at this point.

A.  Book cart report

      We are now using a new cart for the book cart.  Terry Reynolds noted that book cart sales are down a bit now, perhaps because it is Spring.

B.  Econo-foods slip report  

      Mary Marchaterre will email a current report to the FVPL list.

C.  Book Sale planning

a. someone to contact the recycle people

Amy Hughes will contact the recycle people.

b. check to do tasks on web site on the book sale notes

Amy Hughes passed around some of the items she had printed from the FVPL website regarding the book sale.  We will not have a separate section for books from previous sales as an all-day bag sale because we did not keep very many books from last year’s sale.

Mary Marchaterre will take care of the table tents. 

Terry Reynolds will make posters and put them up around campus. 

Amy Hughes will contact Bob Marr to get a list of all donors to the Library. 

Amy Hughes will contact the MUB to make sure that they can set up tables for us.

c. arrange for facilities to move the books to the MUB.

Dana Richter reported that he had already contacted facilities and that facilities will move books from the library and from Faith Morrison’s office to the MUB for the book sale.

d. Verify cash box, cash available, tax tables and calculators.

Terry Reynolds said that he would do this.

Terry Reynolds will also find the table category signs.

e. SIS used to be our cashiers for the sale but I don't think that anyone has contacted them to do that - Faith used to.

We volunteered Dee Vincent to contact SIS.

f. Make sure that Tau Beta Pi is going to be there to help unload the books -

Dana Richter agreed to contact Pat Quimby to ensure that Tau Beta Pi folks will be at the set up for the book sale.

g. pass a sheet around for people to sign up for times to work -- Dee will complete filling in the blanks next week.

A sign up sheet was passed around for book sale work times.

h. Need to schedule work bees

We scheduled a Work Bee at the Library on Tuesday April 11, 2006 from 2 to 5 PM to price, sort, and box books.

i. Need to have a Board member present at all times at the set up so people don't begin hoarding books to buy and that no one can purchase books until after the sale begins.

We will have at least one board member present during the set up.

j. Anything else

      Amy Hughes reminded us to bring plastic and paper shopping bags to the sale.  We ran out of bags at previous sales.

      Mary Marchaterre suggested that we make a drawing of the layout of the book sale this year so that we know how we organized items and how many tables various categories required.

D.  BetterWorldBooks

      Phyllis Johnson emailed us a link for a place that takes books.  They provide the packaging and they send them to some third world country:  www.betterworldbooks.com

      Mary Marchaterre passed around a printout from the www.betterworldbooks.com website.  It appears that we would not meet the qualifications because the books have to be ones that have not already been offered for sale.  We decided not to pursue this avenue.

The meeting adjourned at 4:40 pm. 

The next meeting will be held on Thursday, May 4, 2006, 4-5:00 pm, in the library. 

Submitted by Amy Hughes, April 7, 2006.



| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |