| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |


Minutes

Board Meeting

Friends of the Van Pelt Library

Thursday, October 7, 2004

Present:  Karen Hubbard, Phyllis Johnson, Mary Marchaterre, Amy Hughes, Terry Reynolds, Patrick Quimby, Don Durfee, Dee Vincent, Faith Morrison, Maria Beardslee, June Hawthorne

Absent: Dana Richter, Dick Rupley, George Love, Bette Mongold, Gail Mroz

The minutes of the September 9, 2004 meeting were reviewed. The minutes were approved. 

Terry Reynolds handed out the October 5, 2004 Treasurer’s report.  At 10/5/2004 there was $5,247.31 in the Tech Fund account and $9,399.55 in the MTU FVPL account, for a total of $14,646.86.    The Treasurer’s report was approved

A.  Annual meeting - Oct 21st

      The annual meeting will be held from 4:30 - 5:30 pm, Thursday, October 21, 2004.  The board decided to pursue Dana Richters’ suggestion that we have George Robinson give a lecture at our meeting and a book signing of his newly published book, "The Mineralogy of Michigan".  Maria will ask Dana to contact George to see if he would be available to give his lecture at our annual meeting.  We will also give tours of the library, as previously planned.  Faith will do the publicity for the meeting.

      Faith pointed out to the board that the term of nine board members expires in 2005.  Faith suggested that some of these nine board members resign and then stand for reelection at the annual meeting on Oct 21, 2004 so that the board term expirations are more spaced out.  Four board members agreed to do this: Karen Hubbard, Dee Vincent, Mary Marchaterre, and Faith Morrison.

      Some board members volunteered to bring supplies and refreshments to the meeting.  The list of volunteers and the items they are bringing is:

      Faith Morrison                    Cookies

      Phyllis Johnson                   Chips and Dip

      Don Durfee                        Another kind of chips or salty snacks

      Karen Hubbard                  Fruit

      Mary Marchaterre              Plates, Cups, Napkins, and Tablecloth

      Terry Reynolds                   Punch bowl and punch (ladle?)

B.  Construction update - Phyllis

      Phyllis Johnson gave us an update on the library construction and remodel project.

C.  Newsletter - Faith

      Faith and her husband, Tom, put together and mailed the fall FVPL newsletters.  86 were sent out.  Faith said that the Tech Fund (Bob Marr) requested a draft of the FVPL newsletter before he would send the addresses of library donors to her.  Mary will ask why the Tech Fund is making this request, because this type of request had not been made before.

D.  Funding requests from Library staff

      Phyllis reported that the library staff does not have any funding requests at this time.  Faith suggested that the FVPL pay for some wireless service in the library that would be available at no charge to library patrons.  The board was in agreement that this would be something that the FVPL would like to support.  Phyllis will look into what wireless options are available to the library and what the costs would be.

E.   Update on book cart

      Book cart sales are down compared to last years’ sales.  This is likely due to all the moving and construction going on in the library.  We discussed the purchase of an attractive new cart to be used for book cart sales that would better match the décor of the new library addition.  Maria volunteered to manage the book cart for October and November.

The meeting adjourned at 4:52 pm. 

The next meeting will be held on November 4, 2004, 4-5:00 pm, in room 236 of the library.

Submitted by Amy Hughes, October 8, 2004.



| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |