| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |


Minutes

Board Meeting

Friends of the Van Pelt Library

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Present:  Amy Hughes, George Love, Karen Hubbard, Eloise Haller, Faith Morrison, Patricia Van Pelt, Dee Vincent, Dana Richter, Mary Marchaterre, Christa Walck

Absent:  Don Durfee, Sue DesRochers, Terry Reynolds, Sandy Lewin, Dick Rupley 

Also Present: Rhianna Williams

Co-Chairman Dana Richter called the meeting to order at 4:00 pm. 

The minutes of the September 11, 2008 meeting were reviewed and approved.

Mary Marchaterre handed out the latest FVPL financial report which had been prepared by Terry Reynolds.  The FVPL had $18,229.49 as of October 1, 2008 ($1,000 open encumbrance for P. Fredendall is excluded from this amount). The treasurer’s report was reviewed and approved.  Mary noted that the report showed that a check for $218.45 had been received from Econo Foods, however, she knows that she submitted receipts which would provide us with a donation amount of $446.39.  Mary will contact Terry Reynolds and they will contact Econo Foods to have this corrected.

A.  Jessamyn West visit
      We discussed the information presented by Jessamyn West at her presentation in the Van Pelt Library on September 26, 2008.       

B.  Newsletter

      Faith has printed the FVPL Views October 2008 newsletters, and is preparing them for mailing to our members.

C.  “Students Make a Difference” booksale work day, Saturday, October 18, 2008

      A student group will be joining some FVPL board members at 10 am on Saturday, October 18, 2008 to help sort, price, and box books.  We need to get the name of the group who will be assisting so that we can give them proper recognition.  Eloise moved that we spend up to $75.00 to provide pizza and pop to the workers for this work bee.  The motion was seconded by Mary.  The motion was approved.

D.  Annual Meeting October 30, 2008  4:30 – 6:00 pm

      The annual FVPL meeting will be held on Thursday, October 30, 2008 from 4:30 – 6:00 pm in the Opie reading room of the Van Pelt Library.  Phyllis Fredendall will be our speaker to discuss her art creation process with us.  We will feature the fiber piece which Phyllis created for the library and which will be on display.  The piece is scheduled to be installed on October 21, 2008.  Christa Walck told us that the library will pay for any installation fee charged by MTU Facilities.

      Faith will take care of publicity for the annual meeting.  Publicity will be included in Tech Today, EDS, WGGL, the Gazette (article by Jane Nordberg), the Lode, and the Alldepts-l email list.  Faith suggested that we have a post card printed up to use to publicize the meeting.  The postcard would be similar to the ones created by the Copper Country Community Arts Center for the art exhibits they host.  We agreed that about 300 cards should be printed.  We can send them to the FVPL members (about 90), and to officials at Michigan Tech and at Finlandia.  We will also invite people from the Gazette and the Lode.  We will invite all the staff in the Van Pelt Library.

      We discussed providing food for the event.  FVPL board members can bring the food and accessory items they usually bring to the annual meeting.  These have included table settings (fun Halloween tablecloths, napkins, plates, cups, décor) by Mary “March O’ Terror”, punch by Terry Reynolds, etc.  We will be promoting this event extensively, so we believe that attendance may be greater than at previous annual meetings.  Mary moved that we allocate up to $300.00 to be used for additional food and beverages to be catered by the MUB for the event.  The motion was seconded by Karen.  The motion was passed.  Christa Walck will make the arrangements with the MUB.

      Three individuals are nominated for (re-)election to board membership at the annual meeting:

      Don Durfee, Amy Hughes, and Terry Reynolds.

      The nominations for board officer positions are:

      Open, Chairman

      Don Durfee, Vice Chairman

      Terry Reynolds, Treasurer

      Amy Hughes, Secretary

E.  Old Business

      a) Fiber-art project for Library Reading Room

      Patricia told us that no new lighting will be required for the piece.  A wood mount will be used to mount the art piece because of its large size.  The piece is about 11 feet by 5 feet in size.  The planned installation date is October 21, 2008.  Patricia will oversee the task of having an appropriate sign created for the new fiber art.

      b) Book Cart

      Karen said that the book cart will be taken to the booksale workbee on October 18, 2008, and restocked with new books.  Amy Hughes will create a sign for the cart which reads “Books for Sale” in prominent letters.

      c) Econo slips

      Mary wrote an article on the collection of Econo Foods receipts which was included in the FVPL October newsletter.  Mary will talk to Terry about the donation amount still due us from Econo Foods.

      d) New afghan progress

      No progress will be pursued for a new afghan design until our current stock of blankets is lower.

      e) Parking

      Christa told us that FVPL board members who need parking can go to Public Safety to receive a daily parking pass which will allow them to park in any legal parking spot on campus.  Members can also get a parking token from Carol Makkonen for the $2 parking lot.

F.   New Business

      a) Ideas for new Friends projects to fund    

      Christa told us that the library is currently going through a strategic planning process, and that after that process has been completed ideas for projects which could be funded by the Friends may be identified.

      b) Display cases

      Faith said that the library used to have display cases, and that having new display cases to showcase books, authors, minerals, or other items should be considered.  Christa agreed that exhibit cases may be something that the library would be interested in in the future.

      c) Library signage and literature

      Faith believes that improved signage and library information brochures would be useful to new users of the library.  We discussed possible signage and brochure ideas.

      d) Regularly scheduled FVPL sponsored events

      We discussed having regularly scheduled events such as poetry readings or book discussions.  Faith told us that the Humanities Department has a group which publishes a literary art publication.  We could ask this group to plan or be involved in these type of events.

      e) Board member resigns

      George Love told us that he is resigning from the FVPL board.  We thanked George for his many years of service to the FVPL.

The meeting adjourned at 5:07 pm.

The next regular meeting will be Thursday, November 6, 2008  at 4:00 pm.

Submitted by Amy Hughes, Friday, October 10, 2008.



| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |