| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |


Minutes

Board Meeting

Friends of the Van Pelt Library

Thursday, September 9, 2004

Present:  Karen Hubbard, Phyllis Johnson, Mary Marchaterre, Amy Hughes, Terry Reynolds, Patrick Quimby, Bette Mongold, Don Durfee, Dick Rupley, Dee Vincent, Gail Mroz, Faith Morrison

Absent: June Hawthorne, Dana Richter, Maria Beardslee, George Love

The minutes of the May 6, 2004 meeting were reviewed. The minutes were approved. 

Terry Reynolds handed out the September 8, 2004 Treasurer’s report.  At 9/8/04 there was $5,081.15 in the Tech Fund account and $9,054.44 in the MTU FVPL account, for a total of $14,135.59.  Terry reported that today he received a check from Econo Foods for $570.87.  Terry ordered 25 more FVPL afghans because we sold out of them this summer.  Terry told us that he has received a request from Ellen in Collection Management for $700 for the purchase of paperbacks for the leisure books collection.  Faith moved, and Dick seconded a motion to give $700 to the library for the purchase of leisure collection books.  The motion was passed.  The Treasurer’s report was approved.

A.  Audit committee report

The audit of the FVPL accounts was completed on Tuesday, August 24, 2004.  Amy Hughes reported that Terry Reynolds has kept excellent records, and that no serious problems were found.  However, an inventory of afghans and note cards has not been done for some time because they were moved several times.  It was recommended that an inventory be taken of the afghans and note cards as soon as they have more permanent storage.

B. Econo Slips

Mary Marchaterre agreed to collect Econo Foods receipts again this year.  Don Durfee mentioned that Pat’s Foods has a new program for schools that individual’s can sign up for and that donations to the schools will be automatic based on the use of your Pat’s Food card when you buy groceries there.  Mary Marchaterre agreed to contact Pat’s Foods to find out if MTU can be selected as a school.

C. Withdrawn popular collection books

Popular collection books will now be added to the book cart when they are withdrawn from the library.

D. Cards and blankets

This summer, we sold the final 10 afghans that we had in stock.  10 sets of cards were sold to the Isle Royale Association, and 12 sets were sold to the Mine Hoist.

E. Annual Meeting

We decided that the annual FVPL meeting will be held at 4:30 pm on Thursday, October 21, 2004 in the Library Archives.  Phyllis will contact Eric Nordberg in the Archives to let him know of our plans.  We plan to host a tour of the library as this year’s meeting event.  We will have elections at the annual meeting.  We will decide at the Oct 7 meeting who will be bringing what types of refreshments to the annual meeting.

F. Newsletter

Faith is putting together the fall newsletter.  Everyone submitting newsletter items should send them to Faith.  Dee agreed to get a mailing list to Faith by Oct 1, 2004.

G. Orange Book Drop

The orange book drop had been set outside the library, and it was supposed to be moved to another location.  No one has seen it since then, and it is believed that it was accidentally discarded.

H.  Book Sale

We discussed the 2005 annual FVPL book sale.  We decided to have fewer categories this year.  We will need to do some prep work including: collecting small boxes (photocopy boxes and others that size or smaller), creating labels for the boxes, and labeling the boxes.  We will then schedule some work bees to sort, price, and box the books.

I. Construction Update

Phyllis gave us an update on the library addition construction.

J. Library Requests

Phyllis agreed to ask the library staff if they have any funding requests for the FVPL.

The meeting adjourned at 5:10 pm.

The next meeting will be held on October 7, 2004, 4-5:00 pm, in room 236 of the library.

Submitted by Amy Hughes, September 10, 2004.



| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |