Present: Peck Cho, June Hawthorne, Karen Hubbard, Phyllis Johnson, George Love, Erin Minne’, Faith Morrison, Terry Reynolds, Dee Vincent
Dee Vincent convened the meeting at 4:05 p.m.
Minutes: There were no minutes to approve. The former secretary has left, having found a new position in Minnesota. Faith Morrison offered to check with him regarding the location of the Friends’ membership database.
Secretary’s report: There was no secretary and, therefore, no report.
Treasurer’s report: Terry Reynolds offered his report on the fund balances. The total in both accounts as of the first of September was $11,354.23, which is up from $10,019.39 on the first of May. Reynolds also reported on his annual inventory of sale items. He reported that there are 11 blankets in stock. By comparing sales with inventory, he could account for all but one afghan. The missing afghan may have been used for display purposes, but cannot be located now. There are 713 sets of note cards in storage. Last year 47 sets were sold. Faith Morrison thinks she may have 10, but Reynolds assumed that when he calculated that there are about 16 sets missing. Reynolds admitted that he may have miscounted during last or this year’s inventory and suggested he be fired. His suggestion was not acted upon. He asked that the board consider ordering more blankets; a required minimum order is 26. Morrison moved that the board approve a minimum order; Erin Minne’ seconded; it was passed. The board thanked the secretary for his work on the inventory. Morrison asked what the annual sales of the book cart might be. Reynolds estimated that it would be close to $510. Peck Cho asked whether the Friends should consider having a bigger cart; someone then asked if there should be an additional cart. After some discussion, it was decided that an additional or bigger cart would add too much work to that project. The board thanked Reynolds for his work on the book cart.
Annual meeting: Vincent reported that the University Residence has been reserved for the annual meeting on Thurs., Oct. 26, beginning at 4:30 p.m. The meeting will be from 5 to approximately 6 p.m. There will be a short business meeting followed by a speaker. Possible speakers were discussed. It was concluded that Cho’s idea about having Neal Davis from Finlandia University, who has recently published a book, was the best choice. Cho will inquire as to his availability and interest. If he is not available, the board will ask Erik Nordberg if he would be willing to speak. The board will discuss the details of the annual meeting at its October meeting. In the meantime, the board needs to publish a newsletter that includes an invitation to the annual meeting.
EconoFoods: George Love reported that he met with the manager, Brian Sorby, who says that he threw out the receipts that had been collected on the Friends’ behalf. Mr. Sorby was unable to provide a solid rationale for this. After much discussion, the board decided to write a letter to EconoFoods’ president asking for a copy of the fundraising policy for clarification. Love and Karen Hubbard will work together on the letter. Reynolds offered to mock up some letterhead.
Improvements to Library: Phyllis Johnson reported being pleased with the improvements. Everyone agreed that it looks nice. Someone asked about the furniture that is usually around the display cases. Johnson replied that it was temporarily moved to accommodate crowds of young children who are coming to view the fossils in the cases while on campus to see the dinosaurs.
Archival research grants: Reynolds forwarded a request from Erik Nordberg to increase the amount of the travel grants from two grants at $500 each and two local grants at $125 to $600 and $150 each, respectively, totaling $1,500. Morrison made a motion to that effect; Love seconded; it was unanimously approved. Reynolds will inform Nordberg of the board’s action
Officer Slate: Reynolds was nominated to return as treasurer. Vincent was nominated for chair. Cho was nominated for vice-chair. Minne’ was nominated for secretary (with the understanding that she will be only nominally available until after this semester). Morrison agreed to help by producing the newsletter; Vincent will assist with the database. The need for new board members was discussed. Vincent will call the graduate student who attended meetings last year and may also call the graduate student council. Morrison said she will invite the student who wrote the recent article in the Lode regarding the Library. Cho asked if the board would consider having a representative from Tau Beta Pi attend meetings as they help so much with the book sale. He further suggested that each board member take responsibility for a "portfolio," a task or set of tasks. For example, perhaps a student could take on the publicity area. The portfolios submitted by Morrison were: publicity, membership, projects, book sale, fundraising and book cart. Cho offered to donate books for door prizes, just as he did last year. He suggested that the board should give the prizes to the person who brings the most guests.
Newsletter: Morrison will work on the newsletter. Articles for inclusion were suggested on the following topics: the improvements to the OPAC area (Johnson will write); book cart (Reynolds will write); afghan and note card sale notices; report on status of Econofoods fundraiser; travel grant speakers (Erik Nordberg); membership coupon; annual meeting notice. It was decided not to repeat inserting a sample note card in each newsletter, as the previous effort did not result in additional sales.
Next meeting: Thursday, October 12 at 4 p.m.
| Friends Homepage | Minutes main page | MTU home page |